Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Measurement Of Success

Success...... what is your definition? Everyone's measurement of success is different whether it's how well children advance at school, financial success, material things, social "status", etc. What defines you?

Sometimes in relationships and friendships people come to crossroads. What one person may perceive is success may not necessarily be agreed on by other people. What do you do?

In learning motivational skills and to obtain success, people are taught to do "vision boards". If you have not done one, you really should. It's amazing how, when you're sitting down to analyze your "wants" it helps you get a clear perspective of your vision. It allows you to keep on track and even when you're away from it, can visualize your board. Now this vision board is a personal thing and one really should keep it private.

In going back to my second paragraph, what if another party sees your vision board? In remembering it's very personal to you, people won't agree with your vision or what they see because they have different visions themselves. What if, in the interim, that party sees something is "missing" and they're very close to you? Is it ok to be offended? Should that person make a comment or just be respectful and keep silent?

A lesson learned along time ago was that it's not about "intention" but realistically in our society, it's all about "perception". I've asked this question to a few people...."what would they do if they saw a vision board and they weren't part of it?". One response was "vision boards are something the person doesn't have and are visualizing things that are missing from their lives....whether material or otherwise.. They're not going to post something they already have." Great comment and suppose it could be summed up that way. However, I don't agree because that's not how I did mine. Again, different perspectives, different opinions. (At the end of this blog, I'm happy to share a bit of insight into my vision board.)

However, out of respect for friends and loved ones, perhaps best to keep the visual board private. It is so easy for people to be offended and also, people can be naysayers and/or try to alter you from your focus. This is the opposite of achieving your goals. You don't want this to happen and sometimes people need to realize that things aren't necessarily all about them. Even people with good intentions can "slip up" and harbour bad feelings and perhaps unintentionally say or do things that are hurtful. It comes with being a human being.

So a measurement of success, in my opinion, should really be about balance: family first, business, financial wealth, philanthropy, good health and friends. Material things are great to have and enjoy but remember; can't take them with us when it's our time to go and they're not what define us.

When it is my time to go, I'd rather be surrounded by great friends and family to say "what a great person she was, what a thoughtful person and great Realtor she was; what a charitable person she was and did so much for the community"....not what the size of my bank account was or "wow, she had a great BMW".

Happy to share a bit about my vision board....it has things I already have but because I want it to continue....it has a lot of happy, smiling people reflecting myself, family, friends, business associates that are in my circle and interact with me all the time. Only positive people with a great outlook. Why? This is the energy that drives me, fuels me and everything else I have on my vision board will come true and happen. I can close my eyes and visualize my own personal successes that I want to achieve and how I will reward myself each time. At the end of the day though, if I don't have my family there with me to share it with? Nothing I ever do would mean a thing. This is where the balance and perspective comes in.

Thanks for viewing! As always, have a great day and remember to "Empower yourself and inspire change in others"

No comments: